Sunday, November 11, 2007

Noel, a week later



Last Saturday brought Cape Cod a good old fashioned Nor'easter, the remnants of hurricane Noel. The storm took form quickly and sprinted up the Atlantic seaboard from the Caribbean to Eastern Canada in a matter of days. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Noel_(2007)
By the time it hit Cape Cod, the storm was being called a post tropical storm, still packed hurricane force winds and monster seas. The Wikipedia article says that wind gusts of 89 mph were recorded in Barnstable. I love a good storm and this baby had me reminiscing back to hurricane Bob of 1991, the last hurricane to whack the Cape. We did have a good number of trees down, especially along Route 6A, but "nothing" compared to Bob.

Once I realized that we were going to get hammered, I was getting pumped up for the surf. With 30+ foot waves offshore, there was sure to be some bombs coming onshore. Sunday, I woke early and geared up to head to the Seashore. The storm had given way to westerly winds and blue skies. I started at Coast Guard beach in Eastham and made my way up the coast, spotting all the beaches to find the best break. Normally, I would be right in the water at the first sign of good waves, but with surf of this size I could be judicious. You know the waves are big, when you can see the waves breaking over the dunes.


The photo above was taken at Whitecrest beach in Wellfleet. I am standing about 100 feet above sea level on a dune and the twig in the bottom of the picture is a 40 foot tree sticking out of the beach (which you can't see). This wasn't the biggest wave by far, but i did think it was a good shot.
I am at a disadvantage with my digital camera because the screen broke this summer. I can take pictures, but I don't exactly know what I'm taking pictures of...

2 Comments:

Blogger Casey said...

nice nice...how big was that surf? cool pics...

4:34 PM  
Blogger markmcc said...

The waves were probably 6-10 feet. Bigger down by Coast Guard and Nauset.

10:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home